Overdue, Lost, and Damaged



When library materials become three weeks overdue, library staff will ask the Business Office to charge fees to and block your University account, which will prevent you from registering for courses.

Removing Blocks

You can get the University block removed by:

  • Returning the library materials (in good condition); or by
  • Paying the replacement fee on your University account; or by
  • Providing a replacement copy.
Interlibrary Loan Items

When the lending library sends us a bill, students are charged a non-refundable replacement fee for each item. Replacement copies are not accepted for interlibrary loan items.


Overdue items will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. We reserve the right to block accounts.

Lost or Damaged Materials

Students may either pay replacement fees or provide replacement copies for lost or damaged items.

Replacement Copies

Students may provide replacement copies for Saint Mary’s items. This does not apply to interlibrary loan items. Replacement copies must be an exact replacement (same ISBN) or most recently published edition in new condition. If an acceptable replacement copy is received within 4 months of notice, the Libraries will refund the replacement fee.